Gastronomy in Umbria, is characterized by the simplicity of the farmers’ culture and popular traditions, and is focused on some regional models:
- The pig (here once intensively raised) with all its products; tasteful sausages and all kind of local delicious hams
- Hunting; meats and boar and deer sausages, hare meat, etc
- Raised animals meat; ducks, pigeons, lambs, goats
- Cereals and legumes (Colfiorito and Castelluccio ) lentils
- The truffle of Gubbio and Norcia
- Esteemed high-quality and high-nutritional level olive oil
- Tasty cheese such as pecorino and caprino
- Trouts, and Persici from the several regional lakes and rivers
Wines. The wine process of the several autochthonous varieties of grapes was carried on since the Etruscan time and, in the course of centuries improved and specialized. The present Umbrian canteens are unanimously recognized excellent, among the first places of the world production.
Ideal itineraries per homogeneous typology are the four roads of wine that go, in the Umbrian territory, offering to the visitor/guest “virtue & knowledge” of such ascetics lands so generous and provident as well as warm and receptive:
Sagrantino road (DOCG) – www.stradadelsagrantino.it
– From Montefalco to Gualdo Cattaneo, Bevagna, Giano dell’Umbria and Castel Ritaldi.
Cantico wine road. From Todi (Sangiovese dei colli Martani and Grechetto) to Marsciano (Cabernet, Merlot e Trebbiano) to Perugia and Torgiano (DOCG), not to miss, the Wine Museum; up to Assisi, Bettona, Cannara and Spello.
Etruscan-Roman wine road. Starts from Orvieto (Malvasia, Orvieto white and Orvieto red) to Amerini, Amelia, S. Venanzio, Fabbro and Allerona.
Trasimeno wine road. Excllent production of DOC wines, and oil. Cabernet grapes, Pinot, Merlot, Chardonnay, italic Riesling and Ciliegiolo. The itinerary proceeds along the Trasimeno Park passing by Tuoro, Passignano, Magione, Corciano, Città della Pieve, Panigale, Castiglione del Lago, Piegaro, Umbertide and Perugia.